How To Do The Splits: Splits is the final stage of your fitness exercise that makes your body completely flexible than you imagine ever before. It is the complex stage where your hip muscle, glutes, and hamstrings become more flexible acknowledging that you have come a long way in your fitness journey and you have accomplished your goal. The Splits is not a cool one to take it to light and do it easy. You need to make a handful of effort to reach till the splits. Never think of jumping straight to splits because you may get injured. This blog takes you through how to do the splits effectively and carefully through a step-by-step approach.
With proper observation and practice, you can learn how to do the splits easily. The blog also provides you knacks about how to do the splits in a week and how to do the splits in a month as well.
Before we get into acquainting deep knowledge on the splits, let us also learn how many types of splits can be performed.
Types of splits
- Ballet stretching for beginners
- Proper stretching
- Pigeon stretching without turnout
- Side split
- Forward split
- Shoulder rotations
- Barre hamstring stretching
- Seated hamstring stretching
- Knee hug & twist
- Butterfly stretching
General Procedure To Do Splits
Step 1: Start from a low lunge position by extending your front leg and lift your weight in the back. Doing this helps you stretch the other hamstring.
Step 2: Slowly slide in your back leg behind you. Now with your hands supporting the floor, position your body to the ground, until you feel that your hamstrings are experiencing a slight pull. Do not stretch beyond your energy level because your hamstrings may get injured.
Step 3: Make sure that you stay straight with your chest lifted and your shoulders stay over your hips and your head is positioned straightforward. You might be noticing that your legs are slightly bent while you are learning to do splits, but note that your ultimate aim is to bring your legs to a straight position facing each other.
You can perform any of the aforementioned splits one type in a day that makes your body comfortable and adaptive to the stretches that you are following. Slowly, your body gets used to the regular stretching positions you carry out and you start experiencing flexibility.
How to learn the splits in one day?
- Wear comfortable clothing such as pants, shorts or sweatpants, gymnastics dress, etc. that allows you to do the splits. In case you do not have any of the above, you can do the splits by wearing leggings.
- Use a yoga mat, yoga blocks, and a bolster kind of thing for performing the splits. Spread the yoga mat on a clear surface and position the blocks accordingly.
- Keep a filled water bottle with you and drink water when necessary. Because you may feel exhausted during the splits, and so to stay hydrated, you have to keep your body filled with water.
- Give 5 to 10 minutes of light jogging or jumping steps to warm up your body and keep your heartbeat rate up. Warm-up exercises help lose your tightened muscles and make them ready for a deeper stretch.
- Bend down on one of your knees and do squat for stretching your leg muscles. In case you want to do a middle split, perform wide squats, side lunges, and deep plies. If you wish to do a front split, involve in doing regular stretching, scissor lunges and reverse lunges.
- It is time for you to do the butterfly stretch. To do this, sit flexibly on the yoga mat and stretch your legs closed with both the foot facing and closed together. Now slightly bend over and allow your head to touch your feet, and take few deep breaths while you are at your feet.
- Now relax your hip muscles by doing the lizard pose in a yoga stretch. Move forward with your left knee and place both your hands on the floor at the same distance equal to your left knee.
- Let your hands be positioned stably on the floor and bring your right knee back behind you.
- Now bring both your hands inside the space between your knees and be in a bent position. Take a few deep breaths and let your muscles relax under such conditions.
Read Also: Squat Thrust: Benefits and Techniques
- The name of the stretch that you will perform here is called straddle stretch. Expand both your legs and keep your knees straight.
- Slowly bend the upper portion of your body forward. Now take deep breaths every time you relax your muscles well.
- Get back your body to its original position and bounce your legs to the position it was in butterfly stretch. Keep doing this step for at least 3 to 5 times.
- Perform the contract-relax PNF method to relax your stretched muscles.
- Lie down straight and pull one of your legs upward till it reaches your head or as far as you can go.
- Hold your hamstring muscle with your hands for at least 20 seconds. Do this for a while till your muscle is relaxed.
- Place the bolster in the middle of your mat and position your knee by kneeling on it. Keep your hands on the yoga blocks for support.
- Bending your back knee on the bolster, elevate the other knee forward in a stretched position.
- Make sure that your toes under the back knee are twisted. With the help of blocks, extend your knees as far as you can and take 3 to 6 breaths in every step. Repeat this step for 3 to 5 times; you can change your front leg alternatively.
Step 7: Now remove the blocks and try to perform the splits.
Hoping this blog was informative and supports you do the splits appropriately. Please feel free to write to us or share your opinion with us through email.